It is an IndoChinese dish, which has combination of Indian Spices and Chinese condiments. It has a crispy outer texture with soft inside.
The best Manchurian I ever had is at Five spice in Mumbai (Andheri). I make it a point that whenever I am in India I visit it at least once to indulge in IndoChinese cuisine.
I love calling it “Vegetarian Meatballs”, Yes I know it does sound weird, how can meat balls be vegetarian right? But just have a look at the Picture below does not it look like a meat ball?
I have used a variety of vegetable along with corn flour and all purpose flour. It has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
Manchurian can be served in two ways:
- Dry Manchurian – This can be served as an appetiser or finger food.
- Gravy Manchurian – It can be served as a side dish along with fried rice.
Let us straight away go onto the recipe of “Veg Manchurian in gravy“.
Manchurian Balls (Serves 5-6)
150 grams grated carrots
150 grams finely chopped cabbage
50 grams green bell pepper finely chopped
1 finely chopped green chilli
1 inch ginger grated
200 grams all purpose flour
50 grams corn flour
1 tea spoon black pepper powder
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Add all ingredients listed except oil, Mix it well.
- Take spoonful of mixture and shape it into small balls.
- Deep fry this balls in hot oil until they are golden brown.
10 grams ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, grated
1 green chilli, grated
1 table spoon oil
1 small red onion finely chopped
1/4 green bell pepper finely chopped
1 spring onion finely chopped
1 tea spoon soya sauce
1 table spoon chilli sauce
2 table spoon tomato sauce
1 tea spoon vinegar
1 table spoon pepper powder
3 table spoon corn flour
150 ml water
Salt to taste
- In a wok heat oil, to it add garlic, ginger and green chilli. Let it fry on high flame. Next add red onion, bell pepper and spring onion. Saute them all.
- Once cooked add 150ml water and cornflour to it.
- Let it come to boil, add tomato sauce, chilli sauce, soya sauce, vinegar, salt to taste and black pepper powder.
- Boil mixture for 2-3 minutes. Keep aside.
- Add Manchurian balls to mixture and heat up for 2-3 minutes before serving. Sever Hot.