Khichadi is a traditional Gujarati dish, it is a main dish usually served for dinner. Basically Khichadi is mixture of Lentils and rice, boiled together. It has a mild hint of spiciness. Variety of vegetables can also be added to it. If I want to translate word “Khichadi” to English hotchpotch best describes it best.
In a typical Gujarati home it is served along with “Kadhi” and “Bateta vatana nu rasa vadu saak” which means Potato and peas gravy. We have it at least once in a week. All of it can be made in under 45 minutes.
To make “Khichdi” we use a utensil called pressure cooker. Pressure cooker is a sealed vessel in which we cook food along with water or other liquid, It is more energy efficient than conventional cooking.
Pressure is created by stem from boiling liquid, inside the vessel. Trapped steam is used to cook “Khichdi” which is released with the help of whistle. After cooking it is given rest for a while and then pressure is slowly released so that the vessel can be safely opened.
Here is the complete recipe for “Spicy Vegetable and lentils Hotchpotch (Khichdi)”
Serves 2-3 persons
Preparation Time : 30 Mins
Cooking Time: 10 Mins
1/2 cup Moong Dal (Split green gram)
1/2 cup Rice (Any kind of rice could be used, short gain, medium grain or basmati)
3.5 cup water (If you want it more soft add 4-4.5 cup of water)
1 table spoon, Oil
1 pinch asafoetida
1 bay leaf
1 tea spoon, Mustud seeds
1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds
4-5 curry leaves
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 green chilli, sliced
1 table spoon Peanuts
1/2 potato, peeled and diced
1/4 carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 cup thawed peas
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
1 tea spoon red chilli powder
1 1/2 tea spoon coriander powder
Salt to taste
- Wash Moong dal and rice together 3 times under running water, then soak in 3 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker add Oil and all the ingredients listed under tempering in the same order.
- Next add the ingredients listed under vegetables and seasoning in same order along with half cup of water let vegetables simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Add soaked rice and moong dal along with 3 cups of water in the cooker, close the pressure cooker lid and cook for 3-4 whistle.
- Turn off the flame, let it rest for next 10 minutes. Slowly open the lid of cooker and serve it along with Bateta vatananu saak, Kadhi, Pickle and Papad for a hearty meal.