I was introduced to this Instant Homemade Upma mix when my mother in law first visited us after our marriage. There after whenever she would visit us, she makes a batch of it before leaving and I would be enjoying Upma in under 10 minutes for the coming three months.
This even comes handy when we are travelling, This is how I make it in a tea maker 😉 Yes you heard it right, tea maker. Take the upma mixture in a bowl and set it aside, in tea maker add water and salt and bring it to boil at the max temperature, let it boil for about 2 minutes. Add the water to bowl with Upma mixture and stir it for next 2 minutes until you get the consistency. In this I avoid using turmeric, as the yellow Colour and it’s flavour won’t go off from tea maker.
Off course it can be made in microwave as well. For that, add ghee along with desired frozen vegetable( optional ) and microwave it for 1/2 minute. Next add buttermilk, salt and turmiric to it and start the machine for next 1 minute. Add the Upma mix and microwave it for next 2 minutes or until you attain the desired consistency. This timing are based on measurements for 1 serving. If the quantity is more adjust the timing.
Once you make this mixture, even your children can help you to make Upma under your supervision. Another option would be you let your hubby treat you to breakfast for a day.
This can be stored in a zip-lock bag or an air tight container. When frozen it can be stored for about 3 months.
Did you have a look at my Women On The Go series yet? I have listed 22 Must haves in Freezer and Refrigerator to quick up cooking process and How to plan weekly meals for less chaotic days. Do watch out that space for more every Friday.
2 table spoon ghee ( Separated )
1 tea spoon mustard seeds
Few Peanuts/Cashunuts (Optional )
5-6 curry leaves
2 tea spoon green chilli paste
1 tea spoon grated ginger
8-9 Channa dal
8-9 Urad dal
250 gm Semolina
- Heat 1 table spoon of ghee when melted add mustard seeds, after it crackles add curry leaves, green chilli paste, grated ginger, channa dal , udal dal and peanuts.
- Let it saute, transfer it to a bowl to cool.
- In the same pan add another 1 table spoon of ghee and saute semolina, cook it until it turns pink.
- Add it to bowl with tempering, mix them together. Let it cool completely.
- Home made, Instant upma mix is ready to be stored it in an air tight container.
HOW TO MAKE UPMA USING UPMA MIX ?
1/2 tea spoon Ghee
1/4 cup Frozen or fresh vegetables including onion, peas, tomato andcarrots. (optional)
2 cup buttermilk
Pinch of turmeric ( optional )
Salt to taste
1/2 cup Upma mix
- Add ghee in a pan to it add frozen or fresh vegetables (Optional), saute until they are cooked.
- Add buttermilk to it, season it with salt to taste and turmeric (Optional)
- Add Upma mix to it, let it cook until you get desired consistency.
- Serve it with your favourite side.