There are times when people do ask me, how I survived more than 5 years in a foreign country being a pure vegetarian. They are shocked to know that I do not even eat eggs.
Honestly, I did face a bit of challenges, coping with the food habits here, as it would be difficult for me to eat outside. During those initial years, I would go to Little India to eat and shop for Indian vegetable. It is a very vibrant place, where I get a feeling of being in a south Indian town.
During my initial years, here I would visit Little India every week to do my grocery and vegetable marketing. Now I only go their once in a month not to come back with bags full of vegetable but to buy some authentic Indian Sweets, Mangoes (Alpansoes) and to indulge in chaats. I think with time I have adopted (May be I can put it as I Prefer) to go to Cold Storage or Fair price to shop for the daily Meals.
When I went for my weekly spree at fair price this Wednesday, I bought all the colourful veggies. Next thing that stuck my head was to make this Veggie and Cottage cheese wraps.
Most of my recipes like Hummus Sandwich are Healthy and are made from scratch and this is no different as well.
For wraps I have used 100% wheat flour. Rolled it out into big round, filled it with Flavourful seasoned vegetables and marinated cottage cheese.
Here is a complete guide to “How to make Veggie and cottage cheese warps”
3 cups wheat flour
1 table spoon Oil
Salt to taste
1 cup water (or more if required)
“For cottage cheese marination”
2 cups Curd (Home-made)
2 table spoon Ginger garlic paste
2 table spoon chick peas flour (Besen)
Salt to taste
1 table spoon red chilli powder (Paprika)
1 tea spoon garam masala
½ tea spoon turmeric powder
1 table spoon kasuri methi
100 grams Cottage cheese (Defrosted and cubed)
½ cup Carrots thinly sliced
½ cup cabbage thinly sliced
½ cup onions thinly sliced
½ cup green bell pepper thinly sliced
½ cup cucumber (cut to form ribbon)
Salt to taste
1 tea spoon Red chilli powder
1 table spoon coriander powder
1 table spoon chaat masala
Butter for roasting
- In a medium sized bowl take curd and to it add all the ingredients listed under “For cottage cheese marination” cover it and let it rest for about half an hour.
- In a big plate add Wheat flour, make a hole in centre and add oil and salt to taste to it. Mix it together with hand. Then slowly add water and mix flour and knead it for 10 mins. Make a big ball out of it. Cover it and let it rest for 20-30 minutes as well.
- Cut all the vegetable listed under “Vegetable filling”.
- Take a small deep pan, add about ½ tea spoon of oil, to it add all the vegetable except cucumber, season it with spices listed under “Vegetable Filling”. Stir fry it for about 2-3 mins. Remove it in a bowl.
- In same pan add the Cottage cheese marination and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes, cooking time for it will vary according to the quantity. Cook until the curd had evaporated. We want texture seen in the picture below.
- Now make 2”inch balls from the keened dough, Roll it out into a big circle with the help of rolling pin.
- On a flat pan cook it on both the side without any greasing.
- When ready to serve, take the wrap, spread cottage cheese marination to the left side of it. On top of that layer vegetable and cucumber slice.
- Then roll the wrap.
- Add, ¼ tea spoon of butter to flat pan put the wrap cook it for about 1 minute each side.
- Serve hot with tomato Ketchup and salad.