This is a tasty treat made of potatoes, as its base with boiled veggies joining the party, seasoned by Indian spices. While fresh vegetables gives it crunchiness. Condiments used are mayonnaise and Green sandwich chutney along with butter to enhance its richness.
This sandwich is made up of two layers. First layer has spicy stuffing; level of spiciness can be adjusted to suite individual’s pallet. Type of vegetables used can also be varied; I have used potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, tomatoes and green bell pepper. French beans, yellow or red bell pepper can also be added to stuffing. It can be stored in fridge in an airtight container for a day. So we can make it ahead of time.
Second layer has crunchy fresh veggies seasoned with Chaat Masala. I have used cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, and onions. Salad leaves, lettuce, beat root, bell peppers, potato, pickles, olives options are endless. Any of those can be substituted for it. You have complete Liberty to use any vegetable you like.
I had this sandwich about 15 years ago, with my BFF at fast food joint. It was made out of big square shape bread, that joint baked their own bread. Served with green chutney and tomato ketchup. It looked so heavenly with cheese oozing out of it, While having my first bite I closed my eyes and felt the cheesy, buttery, spicy Flavours blast in my mouth. I started visiting that food joint regularly to Savour it. Yes it became my Favourite spot to hang out. I never felt like making it for myself, until I was married and moved to Singapore. After coming here I started craving for it, So one fine day I thought of making it in my very own kitchen.
From that day onwards it has been recreated numerous times, with changes made to it time and again. By far this is my family’s favourite dish. Who knows, it might even convert you to vegetarian for a day.! This can make a wholesome meal either for lunch or dinner when paired with a side. I mostly like to have it along with corn salad and soup.
Do not forget to share your experiences with this hard to resist sandwich. Do try other varieties of sandwiches like, Hummus Sandwich, Mac and Cheese sandwich, Vegetable sandwich, Cucumber sandwich and Many more.
Here is a complete guide along with pictures on “How to make Bombay club Sandwich”
P.S. I am an immature photographer
Bombay club sandwich (makes 3 sandwiches)
11/2 Table spoon Butter
1 Table spoon oil
1/4 Tea spoon mustard seeds
2 Clove garlic finely chopped
1 1/2 Table spoon green Chilli paste
1 Cup finely chopped onion
1 3/4 Cup parboiled vegetable (carrots, peas, sweet corn)
1/4 Cup finely chopped green bell pepper
3/4 Cup finely chopped tomatoes
2 Cup mashed potatoes
2 Table spoon Lemon juice
2 Table spoon Sandwich Masala (Refer to my Sandwich Masala recipe)
Salt to taste
1 Tea spoon Turmeric powder
2 Table spoon Red chilli powder
2 Table spoon Coriander powder
2 Table spoon Garam masala
1/4 Cup mayonnaise
2 Tomatoes sliced
12 Slice of Cucumber/ Zuccini
12 Slice of Carrots
3 big rings of onions
3 Cheese Slice
50 Gms salted Butter
9 Slice of bread
Green chutney (Refer to my Green sandwich chutney recipe)
- Take a small mixing bowl; add mashed potato and all the indigents listed under spices. (Spice added here are for whole stuffing) Mix it, keep aside for later use.
- Take a pan, add butter and oil to it add mustard seed, let it crackle, add chopped garlic and Chilli paste to it, sauté it for 1-2 minutes, wait until the raw smell from it goes off, add chopped onion, cook until golden brown.
- Next Add boiled vegetables, green bell pepper and tomato mix it. Mash vegetable to get smooth texture for stuffing. Add mashed potato with spices to above mixture. Mix well.
- Now add Sandwich Masala to it, give it a mix. Take it off from flame, Add lemon juice.
- Our filling for sandwich is ready, Give it a taste to adjust your level of spiciness, remember there are 3 bread slices to go with it.
- Time to assemble our sandwich. Cut sides of all bread. Toast 3 out of 9 bread slice. (All my pictures will show process to assemble one club sandwich.)
- Apply butter and Green sandwich chutney on rest 6 bread slice, while apply mayonnaises on 3 toasted breads.
- Apply a thick layer of filling on bread slice with green sandwich chutney, place toasted bread topped with mayonnaises on it. Arrange all vegetables ( Carrots, cucumber,onion and tomatoes) seasoned with chaat masala on top. Finally place a slice of cheese.
- Cover it with bread topped with green chutney and butter. Do apply butter on both the side of sandwich and grill in oven at 150* C for about 4-5 mins until crispy.
Bombay Club Sandwich is ready. Relish It’s rhylisious taste.
- If you do not have chaat masala to season vegetables, you can substitute it by salt, black pepper, dash of sugar and lemon juice.
- While layering vegetables, separate each rings of onion and arrange so that onion is not clustered and you get small piece of it in every bite.
- If you do not have Oven, this can also be prepared on regular pan. Cover sandwich with a pot and toast to melt cheese until bread is golden brown both side.