Last November when my family and I, were planning to visit Mumbai, one of the things on my “to do” list was to indulge at roadside sandwich stall. Those sandwiches have their own unique flavour to it. Over time I have come to know its secret. By experimenting and learning in my humble kitchen, I have come up with a “Sandwich Masala “.
In this I have dry roasted 5 whole Indian spices, churned them and added two powdered spice. All spices have their own unique flavour, texture and aromas. They also take different time to roast, so I would suggest to add Cinnamon stick, black peppercorns and cloves to roast first. When they are half way done add cumin and fennel seeds so they do not get burnt.
Do you know we’re else can it be used?
1) Sprinkle it to any chaats for extra jolt of flavour.
2) Dust it onto boiled potato slice, to give it an interesting seasoning.
This can be stored for up to 1 month in air tight container in fridge.
Do share with me any further suggestion and your experience. For Sandwich recipes visit my Indian Touch Sandwiches.
Here is complete guide to “How to make Sandwich Masala”.
Sandwich Masala (Preparation time 10 mins)
1 cinnamon stick
2 table spoon cumin
2 table spoon fennel seeds
2 tea spoon dried mango powder (aamchur)
2 tea spoon black salt
- Assemble all the indigents.
- Take a pan and dry roast first three indigents listed under “To roast “.
Next add remaining two indigents under “To roast “.
- Once it is roasted take it out on a plate and allow it to attain room temperature.
- Put it inside a mixture jar. Pulse it into fine powder.
- Next add indigents listed under “Other” and mix it.
Our special sandwich masala is ready 🙂